The E-TALEB Project
The Professional Standards Framework for Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Lebanese Universities “E-TALEB” is a national project co-funded by Erasmus+ co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union. E-TALEB aims at developing the Lebanese Professional Standards in Teaching and Learning and cooperating for innovation and exchange of good practices and experiences relevant to similar frameworks established in Europe.
The main objective of this project is to support the initial and continuing professional development of staff engaged in teaching and foster dynamic approaches to teaching and learning through creativity, innovation and continuous development in diverse academic disciplines and/or professional settings. The project will support in creating a community of researchers in different disciplines who share inter and intra university practices in teaching and learning.
E-TALEB will acknowledge the variety and quality of teaching, learning and assessment practices that support and underpin student learning including instructional technology. It will also demonstrate to students and other stakeholders the professionalism that staff and institutions bring to teaching and their support for student learning.
Aims and Wide Objectives
E-TALEB aims to develop faculty members teaching skills and students learning experience in Lebanon by developing a national framework of good practices and shared experiences:
- Supporting the initial and continuing professional development of staff engaged in teaching and supporting learning;
- Fostering dynamic approaches to teaching and learning through creativity, innovation and continuous development in diverse academic and/or professional settings;
- Creating a community of researchers in different disciplines who share inter and intra university practices in teaching and learning;
- Acknowledging the variety and quality of teaching, learning and assessment practices that support and underpin student learning including instructional technology; and
- Assisting individuals and institutions in gaining formal recognition for quality enhanced approaches to teaching and supporting learning.
As a result, the E-TALEB project will have high national impact, providing at once many outcomes:
- Establishing the Lebanese Professional Standards Framework in Teaching & Learning LBPSF;
- Offering a Post-Graduate Certificate Programme in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education for faculty members;
- Collaborating interuniversity activities centered on training and educational programs;
- Creating centers for teaching excellence inside each of the participating universities that support faculty and students in their teaching and learning activities;
- Supporting the universities in their accreditation programs by having a formal process for teaching and learning;
- Developing human capital and talented experts in teaching and learning in the participating countries;
- Sustaining the competitiveness of the higher education field in Lebanon, the Middle East and the participating partner countries; and
- Publishing the Lebanese Journal on Teaching and Learning.
The E-Taleb Consortium
Project Applicant and Coordinator:
- Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK), Lebanon (Project Applicant and Coordinator)
- Directorate General of Higher Education (DGHE), Lebanon
- Al‐Manar University of Tripoli
- University of Balamand
- Beirut Arab University
- Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, France
- Evalag, Germany
- Holy Family University
- Jinan University
- Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences Germany
- Lebanese American University
- Lebanese University
- University of Roehampton, United Kingdom
- Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA), United Kingdom
The Innovative Character of the E-TALEB Project
This project is unique and innovative because it will create a professional framework for excellence in teaching and learning in the Lebanese higher education institutions by describing the role of teaching and supporting learning in the terms of dimensions of practice.
Furthermore, it will create the site which is the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence in order to apply these practices and train the faculty members through the academic program of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Based on sharing EU practices, this project will bring new ideas that do not exist in the region:
- First country in the region adopting a National Framework for Professional Standards in Teaching and Learning.
- Pioneering Centers for Teaching and Learning Excellence that could also serve the region.
- Capacity building sessions on LBPSF for different stakeholders and mainly academic personnel officers who lack the existence of instructions on the level of faculty career progression and promotion.
- Involvement of employers in the analysis of teaching practices impact in labor market.
- Continuous development programme dedicated to faculty members (Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
- Lebanese Journal of Teaching and Learning that will be the first in the country.
- First National Registry for Lebanese Centers for Teaching and Learning Excellence.
- The acronym of the project "E‐TALEB" itself is innovative because it merges between "E‐" for excellence, efficiency, effectiveness and "TALEB" which means university student in Arabic and the student learning experience is the core of our project.
For More Information